Translate

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Eat Healthy While Eating Out

I've heard people make comments they can't stick to their "diet" when they go out to eat with friends or family, and I used to think the same way. But in reality, it really all comes down to planning.

Last weekend I went out with a friend to a Mexican restaurant and I enjoyed my meal. I planned my day knowing I would be eating some chips and few extra calories. But, because I planned for this, and I considered it my treat meal, I was able to enjoy it and not feel guilty. (and I still lost a little weight that week)

But, then there are times like I had tonight where I wanted to keep it as healthy as possible, yet still enjoy my meal with my family. And, again with a little planning, I was able to do exactly that. I knew yesterday we would be eating at Olive Garden, and I also knew it would be later than I normally eat dinner. I made sure when I walked into the restaurant I knew what I would be ordering. The majority of restaurants, not only have a menu online, but nutritional information as well. I checked out their website and found I was able to have a delicious meal for only 400 calories. It was the Venetian Apricot Chicken (pictured), which was grilled chicken in a apricot citrus sauce and served with broccoli, asparagus, and diced tomatoes. And, because I typically don't eat carbs at night, especially late night, I chose not to eat the bread sticks. This is when people will comment that they can't go to Olive Garden and not eat the bread sticks. Yeah, you can! It comes down to what you really want the most. I didn't need the extra calories or carbs tonight, and I can almost bet the next time I go to Olive Garden they will have bread sticks and I can plan on having one then.

If you are in a mindset that you can't go out and enjoy a meal without going off your "diet", think again! It really comes down to one important factor, and that's planning! I plan as much as possible ahead of time, and then I'm able to enjoy my meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment