Translate

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Why A Personal Trainer?


I want to attack this question from a couple perspectives. Obviously I want to discuss why having a personal trainer is beneficial, but before I start in on that I've been kind of curious of why people hire a personal trainer if they don't intend to take advantage of their time and knowledge.


Over the past three years, I've observed several times where clients are constantly late, resist any type of meal plan, and even tell the trainer they refuse to do certain exercises (and not because they can't, but because they don't want to). And since I like to keep it real, to be honest with you, I'll never understand why. Why waste your time and why waste the time of the trainer who probably has other clients who are willing to do whatever is necessary to reach their goals. Now, I understand there are people who just want to workout with a trainer and do not want them monitoring their nutrition, weight, or measurements; and that's fine. But, I'm talking about people who have sought out a personal trainer because they need or want some type of specific result, but then they don't show up for sessions or follow the advice of the trainer regarding their nutrition and then complain about not getting the results they want. So that's where I question, why did you hire a personal trainer wanting some type of specific result if you don't take advantage of the time, tools, and knowledge they provide you? But more importantly, why do you complain about not getting the results you want if you don't follow the trainers advice on your exercise and nutrition? Michael, and the other Fitness Together trainers, have given me tons of great advice over the past three years. Recently Michael and I were talking and I think he said something that really made sense when it comes to changing your nutrition, he said "You can't just try it, you have to do it." He's had me on a carb cycling meal plan since October, and I can't say enough positive things about this meal plan. As I mentioned the other day, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this meal plan. I've lost almost 20 pounds on this meal plan and I'm currently only 14 pounds away from one of my biggest goals ever, and that's being under 200 pounds for the first time in over 20 years! But the reason I'm so successful, is because I'm doing the carb cycling as my trainer advises. Typically after a few weeks we change the low/high carb days around, and even throw in a all high carb day week just to re-boost my body. There are times I'm a little nervous about some of the changes, but that's when I have to remember I hired a personal trainer for a reason, and I just trust him and the process and do what he says. And guess what? He's never failed me once! I guess because I've been so successful, and it's because I have done everything the trainer has asked of me (in my workouts and my nutrition), that when I see people not listening to the trainers or not pushing themselves in the workouts and then complain about not getting results, to be honest with you it frustrates the hell out of me. I know these trainers take the time and effort to provide everything they can to their clients, and to see some not take it seriously or take it for granted, makes me wonder why they are even there.


Now, the benefits of hiring a personal trainer. I reached out to some of my FT peeps to get some of their opinions and how they have benefited from having a personal trainer. Of course there were several things that were the same, so I've compiled a list of things that we as clients feel is important of why you should hire a personal trainer.
  • Keep you accountable for your choices
  • Motivates you daily
  • Provides knowledge
  • Push you beyond your comfort zone
  • Won't let you give up, even though you want to stop
  • Help monitor and keep you on track with weigh-ins and measurements
  • Always wants what is best for you regarding your health
  • Will call you out on your diet
  • Encourage you when you feel like you are failing
  • Teach you healthy habits
  • Creativity
And I think the best response I got was from Emily K., one of the clients I workout with at lunch. I loved her reply to creativity and how the trainer will call you out on your diet. Her reply was:
"Even if you make every workout on your own count, it's easy to get stuck in a rut, use the same machine or do the same workout over and over again. The body adapts quickly and compensates for trying to lose weight and gain muscle so you constantly have to surprise it with different workouts, with different exercises or intervals, more cardio or more strength, and it is difficult to do that on your own. Not many people will call you out on your diet, but a trainer will, and they will stay on you to fuel your body NOT your emotions!"
I couldn't agree more with all of these reasons! I know for me personally, having a personal trainer has been the best decision and investment I've ever made. We invest money into so many things, why not our health? Because without your health, you won't be able to enjoy anything else.


If you're ready to invest in your health and hire a personal trainer to get the results you want, I encourage you to contact Michael Watkins (owner) or Keith Jacobs (Manager) at Fitness Together Jenks/Riverside or Fitness Together Downtown if you're in the Tulsa area. If you are not in the Tulsa area, click HERE to go directly the Fitness Together Corporate site where you can find a local Fitness Together where you can get the best personal trainers in the business and start your own health and fitness journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment