Translate

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Weigh-in Update - Discipline


Today was weigh-in day, and after only six days on the 24-day Advocare challenge I was down 4.4 pounds this week! We have four more days on the cleansing phase, and then the max phase will be days 11 through 24. I'm really excited to see what kind of results I end up with at the end of the challenge. Don't forget, Michael Watkins owner of Fitness Together where I train, is a distributor for Advocare and you can click HERE to go directly to his Advocare site to learn about all their products and the 24-day challenge, and even place an order!
 
Besides reporting an update on my weigh-in, I wanted to write about discipline when it comes to food. Now, just to give you an idea of how far I've come, three years ago when I first started out on my journey I made the decision to not participate in office "food days" or attend certain functions with friends or family when I knew there would be a lot of food temptations. And it wasn't to be unsociable or what some might call a fuddy duddy, but it was because I knew I didn't have the discipline it took to turn down the foods I didn't need. And even though I may not participate in every "food day" at work, or make every event with my friends and family, the good thing is it's because I have other commitments or I just don't have the time to attend. I participate more in these things because I'm comfortable with knowing that regardless of what is served I know I have the discipline to choose the things that will get me closer to my goals.
 
Today we had our company's annual picnic, and I knew there would be food options that either weren't healthy or I didn't need. I will say overall we had decent options, but still made sure I turned down the things that I didn't need. The food items were: white bread, salad with ranch or Italian dressing, cole slaw, baked beans, grilled chicken, brisket, and cobbler for dessert. So, as I start at the beginning I turn the bread down because I don't eat white bread anymore, plus I knew I would be selecting baked beans which is a carb source as well. And of course had salad with Italian dressing. Good rule of thumb, avoid the creamy dressings like ranch. I got a small portion of baked beans and turned down the cole slaw. One I'm not a big fan of cole slaw, but also just because the main ingredient is cabbage it's still higher in calories and fat than what I want to eat due to the creamy dressing used to make it. Then I opted for a small piece, probably about 4 oz of chicken, and even though I could have opted for both I turned down the brisket. And after that I replied, "no thank you" when the server tried to hand me a plate of cobbler. So, I was able to attend a company event, eat healthy, and still enjoy myself.
 
I'm not saying it'll be easy, but overtime your discipline towards the results you want the most will increase and turning down all those tempations will be a habit for you. And some advice when attending functions that are set up buffet style, before you get in line and start filling up a plate, just walk past everything to see what all they are offering so when you start at the beginning you'll already have an idea of what you want to put on your plate so you don't end up with a lot of food you don't need. For example, if they offer both mashed potatoes and maccaroni and cheese, do you really need two carbs that are not even healthy carbs at that? Let me answer that for you, no you do not! But, by knowing they are offering both, when you get to the potatoes you can turn those down knowing you're getting ready to get some delicious mac and cheese! So, regardless of where you're at in your journey, always ask yourself if what you're getting ready to choose if it's something that will get you closer to your goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment